Tuesday, May 13, 2014

It's Jim Wilson Day....



Just to be clear, I'm not picking on Jim Wilson or promoting him in any way. He just seems to be the only candidate who's been in the news the past few days. Another article appeared online this afternoon and the heading is:

Is Jim Wilson beatable?

Here's the link to the article: http://www.simcoe.com/news-story/4515844-is-jim-wilson-beatable-/

Here's my take on the question of the day about beating Jim Wilson. I ran against Mr. Wilson in the 2007 Provincial Election, and of course I lost, but it was a great experience. If you look at the financials from that election and other elections in Simcoe-Grey you will see that Wilson's campaign outspends the other campaigns. The reason for this quite clear, he has a very organized team and a strong core of supporters.
In 2007 my team was made up of myself, my wife at the time, and a couple of friends. I had 1 office in Collingwood, and my campaign cost about $ 8000.00 or so. Wilson had 2 offices, one in Collingwood and the other in Alliston. He had about 60 people helping him, and his campaign cost about $ 50,000 or so. 
Some people said I was crazy to run against Jim Wilson, but I did, and got 26% of the vote, or a little over 12,000 people. In the 2011 election the Liberal candidate had a team in place and she got about 4000 less votes then I did, and about 22% of the vote. Political parties tend to put their resources into riding's where they know they will win, or have a good chance of winning. Simcoe-Grey is not one of those riding's. 
Is Jim Wilson beatable? Ye she is provided that the candidate is well known in the riding, has the backing of the party, and can raise the money to compete against the campaign machine of Jim Wilson. Will he be beat in this election? I don't think so, but then again stranger things have happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment