Wednesday, May 21, 2014

NDP - David Matthews

David Matthews

David Matthews is the NDP candidate in Simcoe-Grey for the 2014 provincial election.
“I had to do some thinking about it (running for office) because you know I can be mouthy,” said the semi-retired steamfitter. “For me to be a politician – I can’t lie. And I can’t make promises that I don’t believe I can keep. That’s just bred into me. And when I see a wrong I say it’s wrong.”The 65-year-old Wasaga Beach resident first ran for the New Democrats in the 2011 provincial race.
Matthews said he decided to wade into provincial politics as a candidate for the NDP, a party he’s supported all his life, after seeing several areas that need improving.
“One of my main concerns up here was the price of food,” said the 19-year Wasaga Beach resident. “And the amount of poverty in this area that nobody has been addressing.”
Simcoe-Grey is in dire need of more affordable housing, Matthews said.
“You know somebody has to speak up for the working-man per se and the poor. So that’s what I decided to do,” he said.
Born and raised in Toronto’s Junction neighbourhood, Matthews apprenticed as a steamfitter after high school and has worked in the trade ever since, travelling across the country to work on different job sites. Nowadays he takes the winter off.
Married to his wife Ilona for 27 years, the couple has two grown children, a son and a daughter. Matthews also has a grown child, a son, from a previous marriage.
When he has time to relax, Matthews enjoys reading books on history. One of his favourite authors is Pierre Berton.
He also loves to fish and is a fan of playing golf and following hockey. His favourite NHL team is the Chicago Blackhawks.

No comments:

Post a Comment